How to Create a CV
Guidelines to Follow On How to Create a CV of High Quality
A curriculum vitae or CV is the most important document a job seeker would formulate in applying for a position. While cover letters, letter of interest and reference letters are all important, the CV is the focus of the first round of screening for interviews lies on the CV. The CV is written for the purpose of gaining an interview so, it must be written in a professional manner which will be noticed. It should persuade a potential employer that the CV writer is the suitable person for the job in context. Therefore, you need to market yourself well through this medium. For this reason, it is essential that all those seeing employment are knowledgeable on how to create a CV of outstanding quality.
CV is the short for the word, curriculum vitae. It is comparatively more detailed than a resume and provides comprehensive information on the applicant in terms of qualifications, skills and expertise. The key elements of a CV are the skills profile or objective statement, the education background and the work experience. The rest of the CV comprise of standard information such as contact information, personal info and hobbies and interest. Prioritize most relevant work experiences, qualifications and skills. Target them towards the job profile and the job requirements. When the prospective employer can see such alignment between these two aspects, your chances of being short listed for next round is high.
The first issue to consider when working on a CV is CV format. The two main formats to consider are chronological format and functional format. There is also the option of using what is termed as a targeted format. The format has to be appropriate for applicant’s circumstances. For example, if there are many breaks in the employment record, it is best to use a functional format instead of a chronological format. A targeted format highlights the match between an applicant’s qualifications and expertise with the job requirements. If this match is not strong, then it is best not to utilize this format.
Following are some additional CV tips for those learning how to create a CV:
1. The CV should not be old fashioned. Go through some CV samples online and choose a modern CV layout.
2. The requirement posted in the advertisement should be met by your CV.
3. Stay within a timeline of maximum 10 years for career and personal achievement details.
4. Word process the document. Handwritten CVs are not acceptable. Use fonts such as Times New Roman and Arial with a font size of 12.
5. Use standard white paper of good quality along with matching envelops. Make quality printouts, preferably with a laser printer.
6. There is no need to give all the hobbies in detail unless it is relevant to the job applied.
7. Offer to provide references but never mention referees names and addressed in the CV itself.
8. Always include a Cover Letter with the CV.
If all these guidelines are too much for you to follow, and learning how to create a CV seems a tedious task, seek help from a Professional resume writing service. Contact us at GrandRésumé.com and we will create a CV that is unique, convincing and tailor-made for you. GrandRésumé.com writers are pros in the filed and know how to highlight your strengths to the maximum effect. The use of sophisticated writing skills, stylish layouts, proper formats and the correct language will all contribute to a perfect CV which you will be proud to present to any top notch employer. So, if you are wondering how to create a perfect CV, GrandRésumé.com is a source you can rely on.